How It Works
Guide to Musical Challenges
- Choose your challenge. One, all, or as many as you want!
- Make a plan. All interpretations welcome.
- Do it! By May 30, ideally.
- Document your experience. Either with video, photo, or words. (You can also skip this step– just enjoying the experience is a great way to participate.)
- Share it back to UVMC*. Upload to YouTube, Facebook, or Instagram with the challenge’s hashtag plus #UVMCSingAndPlay, or share photos/descriptions here. Be sure to tag UVMC and make your post public! (Also fine to skip if you don’t want to share. It’s not mandatory).
- Tune in! UVMC will share collections of videos, images and words to the community during the week of June 1-6. Check this page for updates.
Share your at-home music environment:
- #UVMCPets Introduce us to your non-human musical companions and play or sing a piece for (or with?) them!
- #KeyboardsOfUVMC Pianos and keyboards are all so different. Since you can’t bring yours into UVMC, share it online!
- #UVMCPractices Pick an unusual place to practice, or share what makes your everyday practice spot perfect.
- #UVMCNightOut Plan a special musical night out – at home. Put on a recording of music you love or something brand new, prepare a delicious spread of food and drink, and then share a snapshot of your evening!
Enjoy making music with and/or for others:
- #UVMCFamilyJam Other musicians at home with you? Multiple generations of music makers? Play something together!
- #UVMCStudentBecomesTeacher No musicians in your family? Teach them how to play or sing something! Teaching is a great way to learn, and learning is a great way to support your music student.
- #UVMCBringsTheMusic Put on a concert for a friend or loved one. This can be live right for those you live with, or dial someone up on the computer and treat them to a streamed concert!
- #UVMCDoesHollywood Dress up as your favorite movie character or music star share the quintessential song!
Play, sing, and share your music!
- #UVMCAccompaniesItself Use your favorite app to sing or play in multiple parts.
- #UVMCImprovises Get a little jazzy, and share the results. Composing counts too- share an original piece!
- #UVMCSings Singers, voice students, this one’s for you! Sing your heart out.
- #UVMCPlays Whatever your instrument, play a tune for us.
A Moment Together
#UVMCAllTogetherNow – We can’t all get together in person, but we know you’re out there! At noon on June 6, we’ll all stand on the porch, in the street, or open our windows and sing & play for the birds!
(*By submitting photos, you consent their release, publication, exhibition, or reproduction to be used for UVMC promotional purposes or any other purpose by UVMC and its affiliates and representatives.)
Share your Musical Challenge photo, video, or story, and you could win…
- Grand Prize A $250 UVMC Gift Certificate!
- Pencil magnet that handily holds your pencil on your music stand
- Gift certificate for Musicnotes.com for all your sheet music downloading needs
- Pocket sized Urtext manuscript notebook & overscore tape for the composer in you
- Family pack of UVMC egg shakers for your #UVMCFamilyJam
Winners will be randomly drawn from all who submit. Be sure to tag UVMC or submit using our form to make sure your submission is included in the drawing! Deadline to submit is Saturday, June 6 at 11:59 pm.
Examples of Challenges
See all the updates and submissions on our media page.
Sing & Play Sponsors
Thank you so much to our sponsors and partners who are making this event possible! Businesses can sponsor the Sing & Play Festival with in-kind publicity (no cost!) or a donation. Become a sponsor.